Thursday, March 24, 2016

34/100

I've done a bit of traveling in my life. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see some major cities in western Europe as a school related trip in high school. I honeymooned in Costa Rica and despite my travel companion and unrelated knee injury I had a lovely time. I have been to Seattle, Reno, Las Vegas and several places in California, but that's about it. I miss traveling and while I've never done any major traveling alone I'm not daunted by the thought of it. I'm the girl that takes myself out to lunch, or out for a drink. I'm fine with my own company and I find talking to strangers exhilarating. 
 
I have a very close friend who moved to England several years ago and have had an open invitation (okay, a plea) to visit ever since. I could use it as a home base and skip over to France or Spain. Yes, that sounds nice. My entire adult life I've been linked up with men who were terrible with money and worse at planning. Now I can travel and only consider the cost of one plane ticket. I have a trip to Cancun booked for later in the year and a TBD travel companion. Another friend was floating the idea of a trip to Thailand for some kind of adventure with elephants in early fall. And, I have recently encountered a good reason to check out New York city, which I've never seen. 

I did the responsible thing. I bought a house, I'm a homeowner. I have plenty of things I'd like to allocate funds to on the house or my yard but... it's not going anywhere. It's mine. It's going to stay here and if the deck doesn't get built in the next 6 months... so what? I've spent all of my 20s being responsible and doing the stable, steady thing. Being too mature for my age and wise beyond my years but it's not like life is going to get more flexible as the years draw on. I don't regret not spending my early 20s traveling the world. I wouldn't have been able to relax anyway; too busy batting away the anxiety of not having it all perfectly together to enjoy not having it all perfectly together. 

I'm pretty together though, now. I think I could have a good time. And thus began the travel fund. 


1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Do it. You will never regret traveling. ps. I'll be in NYC with girlfriends in the fall. It would be fun if we were all there around the same time.

    ReplyDelete