Sunday, February 28, 2016

Dreams coming true - 10/100

As I type this, I'm utterly exhausted. As I mentioned in my last post, it was a weekend of work in the yard. I had 5.5 cubic yards of garden soil and 2.5 cubic yards of gravel dumped in my driveway on Saturday morning. I was beyond lucky to have the help I did on Saturday, but there was plenty left to shovel today. I can't remember the last time I was this drained. Maybe backpacking.

I've had gardens before. I've done yard work before. I've put an effort into beatifying my space in every place I've ever lived. But this time, it's different. This time it's for keeps. I've had a vision of what I want for many years. It's evolved some, but the essentials are the same: A cute house with a big vegetable garden, an entertaining space, flowers for cutting, chickens, etc.

In December of last year, almost a month after I got my own little apartment, I took a look at my budget and realized I was living well below my means. A new car? No... bigger. I decided on December 18th 2014 that in the next year I would buy a house. On June 15th, 2015 I closed on my first home purchase. (Coincidentally, June 15th was the date I moved out of my parent's house when I was 18). Since then, it's been my mission to create my backyard oasis.

I'm sore all over, but it hurts so good. I can see it all coming together, and it's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment