Thursday, June 16, 2016

59/100

So much awful stuff is happening in the world lately, and as much as I hate to admit it, I've been sheltering myself from it. I don't want to grieve, I don't want to be angry, I don't want to lament the fact that there any one person can do to change anything about any of it. It's not apathy. It's learned helplessness. No amount of exposing myself to ugliness and tragedy is going to make me better equipped to help any of those things from happening in the future. I cannot single-handedly end rape culture. I cannot do anything at all about gun violence. I vote, but even then, representatives do whatever they want.

I think it's important to be informed, and I don't want to downplay the seriousness of very real losses. I just... I dont know. I can't right now. I don't have the emotional bandwidth to open myself up to the heartbreak. Maybe that's trite, or selfish, or naive. I know I'm the ostrich sticking my head in the sand. I'm not callous or uncaring.. I'm just trying to take care of myself.

Let's just all try to be kind to one another. Let's try to hear each other out and judge a little less. Smile and say hello and not assume the worst. I think people are generally good when given the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment