Monday, May 2, 2016

53/100

Earlier this evening I sat down to write about how all the things I need to get done in the next month have me feeling a little overwhelmed, financially and temporally. But then, my computer needed to restart and if that's not a sign to get off my ass and do something about it, I don't know what is. So, off I went in my smelly gym clothes to Home Depot. There were paint colors to over-analyze and desk lighting options to peruse. 

Overall I didn't actually get much done. I arrived back at home with a small stack of paint chips and took them into my future office and immediately found that most of them would be way too dark. That bright flourescent lighting in the paint aisle is rather misleading. I'll need to see them again during daylight, I suppose. 

I also need to figure out exactly how I'm going to furnish the space. This is how the whole stress began, really. Right now all I really need is a desk. But, I have a plan for the room as a whole, including an updated color scheme, so in terms of doing things with minimal effort, it only makes sense to paint before getting the desk set up. So basically I kind of want to plan the entire room before I even start on one part of it. Classic me. 

Alas, upon measuring the usable wall space, the desk/cabinet combo on the far wall is not a realistic option. This kind of fucks up my entire vision for the room. Damn. The echoing rattle of the tape measure in the mostly empty room reminds me of how I felt when I first got the keys to this place almost a year ago. I could kind of still smell new paint and sawdust. I allowed myself to well up with the sense of exhilaration that came with what seemed like boundless potential. Until I did the math and found that the potential is not boundless. It is bound, in fact, by 88 inches of usable wall space. 

Not an entirely wasted evening. Better to know the plan is a bust and have the time and knowledge to come up with a better one. The the looming tasks remain with no defined plan to execute. I'll get there, I know. My graph paper map of the room might wear through with eraser holes before I do, but it'll be fine. At the very least, I'll have a desk upon which the next chapter of my career will be allowed to unfold. And if that's all that gets done, it'll do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment